|South Dakota-Class Battleship|
|Manufacturer||Argo Yards, Location: Rorkes Drift|
|Use||Capital Ship |
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere Advanced|
|Sail Diameter||1,500 Meters|
|KF Drive Integrity||34|
|10 / 36|
|Crew||110 Officers |
36 Marines Battle Armor
122 Bay Personnel
|Grav Decks||3 (1 - 55 meter diameter |
1 - 65 meter diameter
1 - 95 Meters Diameter)
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||65 / 65|
|Heat Sinks||6,950 (13,900) Double Heat Sinks|
Description[edit | edit source]
Fluff below will list both the original fluff for the South Dakota for BA Baker's Outer Colonies for the ship.
Overview of the South Dakota Class Battleship[edit | edit source]
The 3067 Strategic Defense Review sited several glaring problems with the Outer Colonies Defense Force, mainly its reliance on equipment that was hundreds of years old. With the cost of updating everything to modern standards prohibitive, the derision was made to come up with entirely new designs to compliment the existing order of battle.
Based on the venerable Star League era Texas, the South Dakota class was created to counter the large number of Battleship's in the Clan fleets, and can cripple a ship of similar mass with one or two well placed broadsides.
Armament and Equipment[edit | edit source]
Taking the base frame of the Texas and extending it slightly, the team behind the South Dakota came up with a much more powerful design intended to engage other Battleships in fleet actions, with or without the support of screening units. Much faster then many comparative designs, the South Dakota is also light on docking collars, a move driven by financial considerations on a project that was already over budget.
With an armament built around Heavy Particle Projection Cannons and large caliber Lasers, the South Dakota can operate for a prolonged period of time away from support elements. Backing these up are a large number of capital scale autocannons and missile launchers, we well as a number of smaller weapons intended for anti-fighter and point-defense. A thick amour belt, much improved over that of the Texas, should, in theory, allow the South Dakota to take more damage then its predecessor. It also has a re-enforced internal structure, making it much more resilient to even penetrating hits, with computer simulations showing the vessel still capable of moving under its own power with up to 80% armor loss.
Cargo[edit | edit source]
- Bay 1 - Small Craft (10) - 2 Doors
- Bay 2 - Fighters (36) - 6 Doors
- Bay 3 - Cargo (27,000 Tons) - 2 Doors
Notable Ships[edit | edit source]
Outer Colonies Alternate Universe[edit | edit source]
Notable Vessels & Crews
SLS South Dakota (Under Construction)
SLS Ohio (Under Construction)
SLS Indiana (Under Construction)
SLS Massachusetts (Under Construction)
SLS Alabama (Under Construction)
SLS North Carolina (Under Construction)
SLS Washington (Planned)
SLS Iowa (Planned)
SLS Wyoming (Planned)
SLS Florida (Planned)
SLS Montana (Planned)
SLS Maine (Planned)
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Missing Information - The original program used to make the South Dakota was Heavy Metal Aero. The program while largely obsolete and no longer updated, which itself has issues. Its unclear if the Battle Value listed here is correct.
- Wiki Note - No HMA file was provided, the additional Bay was added due to it being illegal to have fighters and small craft in same bay. The fighters and small craft are listed separately.
- Image Note - Image used for this article is a substitute image. There has not been any actual art work made for this ship. The ship fluff indicate its based on the canon Texas Battleship, thus this ship using a fan created/funded variation of the Texas.